Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taurine and Red Bull

So I disgusted all my friends at the dinner table yesterday, telling them about how beatles are crushed to make red food dye (carmine, cochineal, carminic acid) and how red bull contains taurine - which is made from bull juice. But I doubted myself, more on what kind of bull juice was used, than that red bull actually uses bull juice. I found this on a forum somewhere:

This is from the red bull website:
"Q:Is taurine made from bulls' testicles? Is taurine a derivative of bulls' testicles or semen?
A: Taurine is a purely synthetic substance produced by pharmaceutical companies and is not derived from animals or animal materials. "
( http://www.redbull.com/faq.action#6 )

So I guess that proves me wrong.... but I didn't research it further because I can't stand drinks like red bull anyways. If you want some extra energy, go eat a banana or some dates. You don't need chemicals to keep you awake.

No comments: